Sunday, June 15, 2008

FATHER'S DAY

Some of my best memories of my father revolve around sports. He came to nearly every baseball game I played in and many years later came to a lot of the soccer games where I coached my son.

He took me to Municipal Stadium in Kansas City in 1961 to see the New York Yankees in a doubleheader: Mickey Mantle, Roger Maris, Yogi Berra, Whitey Ford, Elston Howard.

Because his father annually got free tickets, we went several times to the Indy 500, where I saw AJ Foyt win following the fiery crash in 1964.

Through the years, we also saw games at old Comiskey Park and Wrigley Field in Chicago, the Astrodome in Houston and the Texas Rangers' old stadium.

We even went to the football "Game of the Century" when Nebraska beat Oklahoma University on Thanksgiving Day 1971 and football, basketball and baseball games at Oklahoma State University.

,

No comments: